Dot It – to make sure you have a reminder of how you as a parent or child interact safe and smart online – sign a contract, yes a contract is a good idea
Dot it Kids! Hold yourself and your parents accountable:
You must absolutely be safe online.
Remember the mantra is Have Fun, Be Creative and BE SAFE!
A nick- name online is a wise idea, keep those passwords very private. Always check with your parents before downloading programmes and talk to them about the apps and programs you use or wish to use.
Get approval before you download or access. Also, do not give away personal information – your real name, your location, your address, your school, your age, and your parents personal details or bank details or yours. Do not share personal information about your family online.
Mind your manners and language online. Remember too, that online people sometimes pretend to be someone they are not – so check check with mom and/or dad. Get mom and/or dad to approve e-mail and Instant Message requests. Do tell tales to mom and /or dad about unpleasant and bad stuff you may come across online and also when someone sends them to you!
Do not ever send stuff by post to anyone you meet online unless you tell mom and or dad. If someone sends you something by post – this is a problem – as they have your personal information! Go tell mom and /or dad. Go now. Tell them.
Do not do anything online that makes you feel uncomfortable especially if you know mom and/ or dad will not approve. Do not meet, call or post anything to someone you have met online. Only meet someone you have met online if your parents approve and are with you.
Accept that mom and /or dad will supervise the time you spend online and set limits.
And kids, teach your parents about the Internet too. Believe me you know a lot. Sometimes more than they do.
Here is an example of your contract. Go on, Print a copy and take to mom and/ dad to sign it.
This contract is attributable and courtesy of the ITU.
I know that the Internet can be a wonderful place to visit. I also know that it is important for me to follow rules that will keep me safe on my visits. I agree to the following rules:
- Wherever possible I will choose a safe and sensible screen name for myself that will not broadcast any personal information about my family or me.
- I will keep all of my passwords private.
- I will discuss with my parents all of the different programmes and applications I use on my computer and on the internet, and talk to them about the sites I visit. Before I download or load a new programme or join a new site I will check with my parents firs to make sure they approve.
- When considering signing up to a new online service I will avoid those which demand too much personal information and try to opt for those which ask for less.
- I will always take steps to find out what personal information about me will be published by the service by default in my profile and will always opt for the maximum degree of privacy.
- I will not share my personal information, or that of my parents or any other family member, in any way, shape or form, online or with someone I meet online. This includes, but is not limited to name, address, telephone number, age or school name.
- I will treat others the way I want to be treated.
- I will use good manners when I’m online, including good language and respect. I will not pick fights or use threatening or mean words.
- I will make my own personal safety my priority, since I know there are some people who might be online and pretend to be someone they’re not.
- I will be honest with my parents about people I meet online and will tell them, with- out always being asked, about these people. I won’t answer any e-mails or instant messages from anyone my parents have not approved.
- If I see or read things that are bad, icky or mean, I will log off and tell my parents so they can try to make sure it never happens again.
- I will tell my parents if I receive pictures, links to bad sites, e-mail or instant messages with bad language or if I’m in a chat room where people are using swear words or mean and hateful language.
- I will not send anything in the post to anyone I’ve met online, without my parents’ okay. If I get something in the post from someone I’ve met online, I’ll tell my parents immediately (because that means they have my private information).
- I will not do anything online that someone asks me to if it makes me feel uncomfortable, especially if I know it’s something my parents would not be happy about or approve of.
- I will not call, write a snail mail or meet in person anyone who I’ve met online without my parents’ approval or without a trusted adult coming with me.
- I understand my parents will supervise my time online and may use software to monitor or limit where I go online. They’re doing this because they love me and want to protect me.
- I will teach my parents more about the Internet so we can have fun together and learn cool new things.
I agree to the above.
Child signature Date
I promise to protect my child’s safety online by making sure these rules are followed. If my child encounters unsafe situations and tells me, I will handle each situation with maturity and good sense, without blaming anyone, and will calmly work through it with my child to ensure their safer Internet experiences in the future.
Parent signature(s) Date
Dot it Mom and/ Dad:
You have to get involved – get to know the sites, set some rules and talk about them. You also have to be calm about the “bad “ that your kid finds online. Get to know those online friends, each and every one of them – and do not hesitate to take charge, as you do and go the authorities if you come across suspicious and / illegal activities. And – you should advise and make a list recommended sites for your kids. Remember to check sites your kid visit too. Check those filtering options and block the bad. In addition – do not do not disclose location!
I know that the Internet can be a wonderful place for my kids to visit. I also know that I must do my part to help keep them safe on their visits. Understanding that my kids can help me, I agree to follow these rules:
- I will get to know the services and websites my child uses.
- I will set reasonable rules and guidelines for computer use by my children and I will discuss these rules and post them near the computer as a reminder.
- I will not overreact if my child tells me about something “bad” he or she finds or does on the Internet.
- I will try to get to know my child’s “online friends” and Buddy List contacts just as I try to get to know his or her other friends.
- I will try to provide close sup- port and supervision of my younger children’s use of the Internet, for example by trying to keep their computer in a family area.
- I will report suspicious and illegal activity and sites to the proper authorities.
- I will make or find a list of recommended sites for children.
- I will frequently check to see where my kids have visited on the Internet.
- I will seek options for filtering and blocking inappropriate Internet material from my children.
- I will talk to my kids about their online explorations and take online adventures with them as often as I can.
I agree to the above.
Parent signature(s) Date
I understand that my parents have agreed to live by these rules and I agree to help my parents explore the Internet with me.
Child signature Date
The sample contracts are attributed to www.itu.int